libflashplayer downloaded to memory?

gilpel at altern.org gilpel at altern.org
Sat Oct 3 01:00:06 UTC 2009

Ed Greshko wrote:

> gilpel at altern.org wrote:

> It goes where you tell it to go based on the preferences you have
selected and what applications may be defined.  So, it will vary and may
not be the same for you as it is for me.

Same here.

> For "Downloads" I have "Show the Downloads..." checked and "Save files
to Downloads".  A "Browse" reveals that means it will go to
> "~/Download".  Additionally, since it is a .gz file the Applications is
consulted and that is set to "Always ask" with the default to be "Open
with Ark".

Same here. A windows opens with the file to be extracted and an Extract
button. If you extract, it asks where and the file appears there. But what
if you don't extract? Where does the file go? That's my question.

It seems to disappear. That's why I asked if it is downloaded to memory.

> So, on my system I am first asked if I want to open it with "Ark".  If I
pick "Save" from that dialog it will go to ~/Download.

Yes, there is a "Save as" option. So? Until then, the file has been
downloaded to memory only? Isn't being asked where to save a file *after*
download rather unusual?

> Of course the tar file is not installed automatically.  You should have
also noted that after you download there is a link to the installation
instructions....

> http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/productinfo/instructions/

I don't remember being redirected to instructions.

>> I also have:
>> /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
>> /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins-wrapped/nswrapper_64_64.libflashplayer.so
which were installed in August. I had installed libflashplayer.so there
"Just in case" but I wonder where nswrapper_64_64.libflashplayer.so
comes
>> from.
> How did you install in August?  Only you can answer that.
>
> FYI, the recommended installation method for Fedora, or any yum/rpm
based system is to "Select version to download" of "YUM for Linux" and
then install the downloaded .rpm file which will install the repo files
for Adobe in /etc/yum.repos.d

> You can also do "about:plugins" in FF and determine what version of the
flash player is currently installed.