libflashplayer downloaded to memory?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sat Oct 3 00:13:44 UTC 2009

gilpel at altern.org wrote:
> Same here. A windows opens with the file to be extracted and an Extract
> button. If you extract, it asks where and the file appears there. But what
> if you don't extract? Where does the file go? That's my question.

It is good that we are finally getting all the facts of your questions.
You've been leaving off significant detail.
> It seems to disappear. That's why I asked if it is downloaded to memory.

It had been downloaded to a temporary location in /tmp (given a random
name) until the point where you clicked on "OK" in "Open with"....  At
that point the file name is changed to what is should be
"install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz" in /tmp.

If you exit Ark without extracting it it will remain in /tmp.  If you
choose extract it will default to putting the contents in your
"Documents" folder.

>> So, on my system I am first asked if I want to open it with "Ark".  If I
>> pick "Save" from that dialog it will go to ~/Download.
>>

> Yes, there is a "Save as" option. So? Until then, the file has been
> downloaded to memory only? Isn't being asked where to save a file *after*
> download rather unusual?

No....  It is /tmp with a random name.

>> Of course the tar file is not installed automatically.  You should have
>> also noted that after you download there is a link to the installation
>> instructions....
>>

>> http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/productinfo/instructions/
>>

> I don't remember being redirected to instructions.

I didn't say "redirected" I said a "link" is on that page to the
instructions....  The "link" is on the http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
page as well.

>>> I also have:
>>> /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
>>> /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins-wrapped/nswrapper_64_64.libflashplayer.so
>>>
> which were installed in August. I had installed libflashplayer.so there
> "Just in case" but I wonder where nswrapper_64_64.libflashplayer.so
> comes
>
>>> from.
>>>
>> How did you install in August?  Only you can answer that.
>>
>> FYI, the recommended installation method for Fedora, or any yum/rpm
>>
> based system is to "Select version to download" of "YUM for Linux" and
> then install the downloaded .rpm file which will install the repo files
> for Adobe in /etc/yum.repos.d
>
>> You can also do "about:plugins" in FF and determine what version of the
>>
> flash player is currently installed.

I assume that is from you previous install which you forgot how you did....

Still....the fact remains that whatever content you wish to view is
"currently unavailable".