ibus still broken

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Sat Oct 3 01:27:07 UTC 2009

On 10/02/2009 05:24 PM, Craig White wrote:

>> > I believe that Stuart's problem is that once you break ibus it will never dig
>> > its way out using only the 'upgrade' command, since something appears
>> > half-updated. I did successful upgrades on a number of system after the problem,
>> > but on the two systems which had an initial problem a simple upgrade fails. I
>> > will try downgrading and see if that helps. One system will not do networking
>> > since the upgrade failed, so I'm not sure what's up with that, it just broken.
>>
>> I "rpm -e" all my ibus* and anthy packages, then reinstalled the
>> old versions from my f11 dvd repo.  I still have the same problem.
>> I also notice that the ibus desktop icon is still the "new" icon
>> (the one that appeared after I'd done the updates), not the icon
>> which was present after my original f11 install which I think
>> looked different.  So it seems that some unrevertible changes
>> have been made.
> ----
> I'm just not buying Bill's concept of breaking and never digging out.
>
> It's easy enough as user to '$ mv ~/.ibus ~/.ibus-bak' and restart ibus
> to create brand new settings (right click on ibus icon in system tray
> and choose 'Restart')
>
> and if your did this 'rpm -e' WITHOUT resorting to anything radical such
> as '--nodeps' then if you create the new settings file as per above, it
> should be back to where it was when you first installed it.
>
> Likewise, if you did not do anything like '--nodeps' you should be able
> to bring it up to date simply by doing 'yum update' and if that fails,
> you should show us the text of where/how it failed.

<RED_FACE>
Turns out I was mistaken about ibus not working in a new
account.  When I tried a second time, prompted by your
comment, it did indeed work.
</RED_FACE>

Under gnome it turns out there is no ~/.ibus but I did
find ibus config stuff in ~/.cache/ibus/, ~/.gconf/desktop/ibus/,
and ~/.config/ibus/.  I stopped ibus (by unchecking the Enable
box in System->Preferences->Input Method because there is another
applet (imsettings?) that automatically restarts ibus if one
just "Quit"s from the ibus icon, and I wasn't able to turn the
bloody thing off by unchecking boxes in Preferences->Startup
Applications).  I got rid of those personal ibus directories
and also my ~/.anthy/ directory, and after logging out/in,
was able to reenable ibus and now it works again!  Then did
upgrade to latest versions and it is still working.
Hooray -- no Windows! :-)

Thanks for everyone's help!!