Installing Windows afterFedora

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Oct 3 17:32:59 UTC 2009

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> I have managed to go for just under a decade without a Windows
>> machine, but now I need to have such, and I'd like to add it to an
>> existing machine with a large enough partition which was used as work
>> area for a project since shipped. The problem is that while I've put
>> Fedora (and Linux back to SLS and Slackware on 2.2 kernels) on Windows
>> machines, I haven't done it with anything else after, Linux has always
>> been "the last OS you'll ever need" for dual boot.
>>
>> I'm not worried about the grub.conf, but the boot sector could be an
>> issue, I have seen reports that XP with patches and Win7 check the
>> boot sector now (XP at patch level 3). other than having to rewrite
>> the boot sector, is that going to be an issue? Any other things I
>> should know?
>>
> Different people have different reasons for needing a Windows machine.
> They also have different requirements.  I also need a Windows machine
> from time to time.  But, I find dual boot an unnecessary evil since my
> requirements don't include something like game playing.  So, I've found
> running Windows in a virtual machine a better option.  Just wondering if
> you've considered that option.

I need to see how some video cards run under Windows, and while I did manage to
pass a USB device into a VM (ubuntu) I think I would be better off to just have
the OS directly on the bare metal, I suspect getting a PCI card to be ignored by
Linux and used in a VM might be a learning curve leading to questions about
timing issues.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>