Installing Windows afterFedora

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Oct 3 17:41:54 UTC 2009

Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 19:19 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> I have managed to go for just under a decade without a Windows machine, but now
>> I need to have such, and I'd like to add it to an existing machine with a large
>> enough partition which was used as work area for a project since shipped. The
>> problem is that while I've put Fedora (and Linux back to SLS and Slackware on
>> 2.2 kernels) on Windows machines, I haven't done it with anything else after,
>> Linux has always been "the last OS you'll ever need" for dual boot.
>>
>> I'm not worried about the grub.conf, but the boot sector could be an issue, I
>> have seen reports that XP with patches and Win7 check the boot sector now (XP at
>> patch level 3). other than having to rewrite the boot sector, is that going to
>> be an issue? Any other things I should know?
> ----
> I have seen some reports that certain hardware types require the Windows
> bootloader code and if it is overwritten, say by grub, that it puts
> Windows into repair mode when booting Windows but I have never
> experienced that issue myself and I would think that you wouldn't
> either.

That's the kind of thing I was worried about, I have had that issue with the
Linux installed in the boot sector rather than the partition, but I haven't done
Windows recently.

> You can actually use the Windows bootloader to give you a choice of
> which to boot instead of grub if you wish - not really that big of a
> deal and there are many examples found easily with Google.
>
> But if you have a Linux rescue boot disk (i.e. the installation DVD),
> it's rather trivial to boot into rescue mode, chroot to /mnt/sysimage
> and then 'grub-install /dev/sda' to reset the mbr for grub again, but
> then you would have to create a grub entry for booting Windows - I have
> sample at bottom).

Thanks, as noted I've set up the chain loader installing after Windows was in,
but I never did it this way before. I even have examples of doing dual boot with
LILO from back in the old days, although I don't ever expect to reuse them.

Note to others, do understand what the (hd0,1) means, that's typical for
"Windows first" installs, but not for "Windows as afterthought" cases.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>