A CPU monitor

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Oct 3 19:39:48 UTC 2009

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> in Gnome.
>
> The gnome system monitor can itself eat up 25% of one of my CPUs.
>
> So what are the alternatives to seeing CPU usage?

Which of the monitors do you use? The monitor which runs in the desktop, I
guess. There is one to run in the toolbar, and the resources tab in the
system->about this system (desktop again) takes little CPU and can be tamed more
by using longer sample intervals.

Even on an old 2.5GHz Celeron with both the toolbar and "About the system"
running it only take a few percent of the CPU on a totally dumb video, Sis
on-board on a Shuttle, no visible impact.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>