bash oom problem

psmith psmith at fedoraproject.org
Sun Oct 4 09:42:59 UTC 2009

hi list, whilst trying to run this bash command

for w in {A..Z}{A..Z}{A..Z}{A..Z}{A..Z}{A..Z}{A..Z}{A..Z} ;do echo
$w;done > wl1

on my aspire one (which is running rawhide) it kept crashing my system
down with no reasons shown in any of the logs, so i tried it on my
desktop machine which is an athlonx2 6000 with 2GB of ram and a raid0
array, with 2GB of swap and it too crashed the terminal but it did give
me an error and it turned out to be an oom error so i tried upping the
swap partition to 10GB and i'm still getting an oom crash, can anyone
suggest a way of getting the command to dump the output to disk each
time it gets close to running out of memory? or is this command always
doomed to fail?

tia
phil