PAE kernel on 1GB system?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Oct 4 22:01:44 UTC 2009

Ian Pilcher wrote:
> I am setting up a fanless 1GB VIA C7 system to run Asterisk.  (It also
> has a 32GB SSD -- no moving parts at all!)  By default anaconda uses the
> i686 PAE kernel for this system, presumably because the C7 instruction
> set qualifies it as an i686.
>
> I can't think of any reason to use a PAE kernel on this system, so I'm
> thinking of switching to the i586 kernel.  Can anyone see any
> disadvantage to making the switch?

I think it limits the size of application you can run, although a big
application would live mostly in swap and run slowly, and you're unlikely to do
that. I can't think of any big benefit, either, if saving a few bytes is an
issue you should build a custom kernel and cut out anything you don't need.

> Any problem using the i686 versions of glibc, openssl, and any other
> userspace packages?

No, I have both kernels on several machines and have booted them, at one point
the PAE would blank my display on boot and the non-PAE worked (but only used 3
of 8 GB RAM). That went away a while ago, but either will work.

If you think it will make a difference try it, it will boot and run.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>