How-to customize gnome-settings-daemon?

Marco Guazzone marco.guazzone at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 09:17:19 UTC 2009

Hello Fedora users,

I'm running F11 with OpenBox (without GNOME) as window manager.
In order to bring some GNOME facilities to the OpenBox environment I
run gnome-settings-daemon at startup.

My problem is that gnome-settings-daemon starts gnome-screensaver.
Since gnome-screensaver does not work properly under OpenBox (actually
It does not activate when computer is idle) I want to disable it (and
run instead the xscreensaver screensaver).

The only way I've found to prevent  gnome-settings-daemon to run
gnome-screensaver is to change system-level configuration files in
/etc/gconf:
* /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/%gconf-tree.xml
* /etc/gconf/schemas/apps_gnome_settings_daemon_screensaver.schemas

The problem is that at every update of gnome-settings-daemon package,
these files are overwritten.
This is boring... :(

Is there a way to change gnome-settings-daemon configurations locally,
that is at user-level instead of at system-level?

Thank you very much!!

Cheers,

-- Marco