F11 and CD Failure

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 5 20:52:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-05 at 13:33 -0500, Mikkel wrote:
> 2009/10/5 Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec at pomec.net>:
> >
> > Mikkel,
> >
> > That has been my problem with hal.  I am using gnome.  hal recognizes
> > the CD when I insert it in the drive, but it does not automount the cd.
> > Where do you turn the auto-mount on and off?
> >
> > Greg
> >
> They have been re-arranging things again. Check the Media tab of
> File Management Preferences. It is much easier to turn them off -
> you just have to pick do nothing in the pop-up window that you get
> by default when you insert media, and then check the always do this
> box. There used to be this nice menu item under the System menu that
> would let you pick what to do with the different media. I think the
> CDs were part of Removable Drives and Media.
>
> Mikkel
It is not clear that the Media tab on the File Management preferences
has anything to do with automount. For example it might say to let Audio
CD  Extractor get the job of dealing with audio CDs. But Audio CDs are
not mounted. Neither are CDs handled by vlc.

I see nowhere in that Media option that it tells the system to mount a
data CD.
Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is
the answer. (Taken from a .signature from someone from the UK, source
unknown)
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net