Viewing answers to one's nntp posts in Thunderbird

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Oct 6 00:02:04 UTC 2009

Ed Greshko writes:

>>> To address the first part of your question...
>>>
>>> If you want to exclusively view only answers to your posts the answer is
>>> "not really".  However, what is wrong with choosing "Click to display
>>> message threads".  If you are the OP then any response to your message
>>> will appear under it.
>>>

>> "If" you are the OP, you will see the messages of all the people who
>> answered the people, etc. who answered your post until it has nothing to
>> do with your post.
>>

> There is no way to programatically solve that problem....

Well, there is a way, that seems to work fairly well. I do this in Cone:
the thread gets highlighted for up to five chained replies, for up to 14
days after the original message. Although these parameters are adjustable,
in practice I've never had the need to tweak them. They seem to work fairly
well.

To clarify this: all replies to the original post are considered 1st level
replies. Replies to those messages are 2nd level replies. Cone highlights
all messages up to the 5th level of replies, for up to 14 days after the
original message. Messages beyond the 14 days are not highlighted, no matter
what level of reply they are.

Furthermore, the messages on the last, 5th level are highlighted
differently, and it's a visual cue -- if you want to continue to monitoring,
you can reset the thread watch starting from that message anew.

Plus, Cone has rudimentary per-folder filters, so for selected mail folders
or Usenet groups, I can set up a filter to start watching my own messages,
and never miss a reply to my own messages, and the resulting threads.