Viewing answers to one's nntp posts in Thunderbird

gilpel at altern.org gilpel at altern.org
Tue Oct 6 03:42:24 UTC 2009

> On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 08:14 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> However, it seems to me that the "problem" is...there may be a thread
>> started by one person (not you) and you reply to one post within that
>> thread and wish only to see messages related to your post within the
>> thread.  If that is it, then no there is no concept of "sub-treading".
>>
>> Frankly, there is simple solution to the "problem".
>
> I've seen clients that could do that sort of thing fairly easily
> (probable Forte Inc's Agent, or it might have been Thule's Thor),

I'm not so sure any more. You know how much influence Ed has on me :), so
I check the headers and the References field is in the form of

08nmii94i230 at newsprovider.com

There is no mention of who the poster is. So, the newsreader would have to
check every message to see who posted it. Lots of work!

I also saw that the References field is not always present. So maybe
Cameron Simpson could explain us how "A quick '/~P~Q'" manages to do the
trick.