Viewing answers to one's nntp posts in Thunderbird

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Tue Oct 6 04:35:42 UTC 2009

On 06Oct2009 08:42, gilpel at altern.org <gilpel at altern.org> wrote:
| > On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 08:14 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
| >> However, it seems to me that the "problem" is...there may be a thread
| >> started by one person (not you) and you reply to one post within that
| >> thread and wish only to see messages related to your post within the
| >> thread.  If that is it, then no there is no concept of "sub-treading".
| >>
| >> Frankly, there is simple solution to the "problem".
| >
| > I've seen clients that could do that sort of thing fairly easily
| > (probable Forte Inc's Agent, or it might have been Thule's Thor),
|
| I'm not so sure any more. You know how much influence Ed has on me :), so
| I check the headers and the References field is in the form of
|
| 08nmii94i230 at newsprovider.com

What, no <> bracketing?

| There is no mention of who the poster is. So, the newsreader would have to
| check every message to see who posted it. Lots of work!

Um, if you're after replies to your own messages it is only necessary
to note the message-ids of your own messages and look for them in the
mail/newsreader you read with to make tracking your posts easy.

| I also saw that the References field is not always present. So maybe
| Cameron Simpson could explain us how "A quick '/~P~Q'" manages to do the
| trick.

I take the position that if the References field is not present in a
usenet article, it is not a followup.
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are CORRECT, mine, and not PSLs or NMSUs..
        - Larry Cunningham <larry at psl.nmsu.edu>