F11 and CD Failure

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Tue Oct 6 17:39:18 UTC 2009

Mikkel wrote:
> Hiisi wrote:
>
>> 2009/10/6 Daniel B. Thurman <dant at cdkkt.com>:
>> <--SNIP-->
>>
>>> # mkdir /media/cd
>>> # mount /dev/sd0 /media/cd
>>> mount: you must specify the filesystem type
>>>

>> -t option with appropriative type (vfat?).
>> Try 'dmesg | tail' after you've disk just inserted.
>> And the first place you should consalt with:
>> man mount
>>
> Unless someone really worked at it, it is not going to be vfat. It
> should probably be iso9660. But with CDs, it usually means that the
> CD isn't readable, or is not a data CD.
>
> Mikkel

I tried this on F9, it does not seem to work:

# mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/sr0 /media/cd
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
       dmesg | tail  or so

Interestingly,  removing the CD from the drive results:
# mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/sr0 /media/cd
mount: No medium found

Note: /dev/cdrom does not work.  I tried this for both
of my CD CD/DVD drives and I note that the devices
respectively are: /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1

# mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/cdrom /media/cd
mount: special device /dev/cdrom does not exist

But then again, on F9 (as I reported earlier), hal is able
to recognize both of my drives and to automount and
start the default audio CD application perfectly.

So - something is wrong with F11's device handlers...
or so I think.

I cannot think of what else to try...