F11 and super user

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 21:39:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 18:03 +0000, Croombe F. Pensom wrote:
> I am somewhat lazy in that I find a
> GUI better to use than the command line even though I am familiar with
> the latter and can use most of its commands.

This is a false dichotomy. The recommended procedure is to use GUI tools
via "su". Logging in as root is useful on the rare occasions when you
literally cannot log in as a user (forgotten password,
reformatting /home or whatever) but you definitely don't want to do it
in the normal use of the system.

(BTW the prevention of root login is a Gnome thing, not a Linux or
Fedora thing. KDE users don't have this problem -- but of course they
shouldn't log in as root either).

poc