problem with nvida settings

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Oct 7 22:36:55 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 17:06 -0400, Jim wrote:

> > 1- System>Administration>Livna Display configuration
> > Then untick "Allow livna-config-display to edit configuration files"
> > 2- Write your own xorg.conf file
> >
> > I've done this and it doesn't do any good. It also doesn't seem to
> > matter what I put in the xorg.conf file -- or even if I have no
> > xorg.conf file at all. When I logon the desktop has 1280x1024
> > resolution. I can change this to 1680x1050 using the nvidia-settings
> > widget but this change is always lost when I reboot.
> >
> > I'm running FC11 with a PAE kernel and kmod-nvidia. The videocard is a
> > GeForce 6200 (nvidia series 6) and the monitor is a ViewSonic VG2030wm.
> >
> > nvidia-settings... system-config-display... livna-config-display... or
> > even .nvidia-settings-rc (a file I found in my home directory) -- Who's
> > in charge? And what's livna doing here anyway, it's not one of my
> >
> Copy and paste this into your /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
> Put it just after the "Device Section"
> And change the "1024x768" to the settings you want, be sure you leave the
> "   " there when you change the setting you want.

> Section "Screen"
>      Identifier "Screen0"
>      Device     "Videocard0"
>      Monitor    "Monitor0"
>      DefaultDepth     24
>      SubSection "Display"
>          Viewport   0 0
>          Depth     24
>          Modes    "1024x768"
>      EndSubSection
> EndSection

It still doesn't work. Here's what my xorg.conf file looks like. (I've
taken out the "InputDevice" sections for clarity.)

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings:  version 1.0  (buildmeister at builder63)  Fri Aug 14
17:55:55 PDT 2009

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister at builder63)  Fri Aug 14
17:54:58 PDT 2009
# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"