F11 live CD install Q re dual boot partitioning

B Hung bthung at roadrunner.com
Thu Oct 8 02:03:44 UTC 2009

On 10/07/2009 11:25 AM, Quinney, Matthew wrote:
> When installing F11 from the Live CD, during the partitioning for dual
> boot, there is a box labeled "volume to shrink" with a drop down menu
> for the volume and a size box labeled "shrink target(in MB)".  Is this
> the size by which to shrink the original volume or is it the size to
> which the volume will be shrunk.  It is kind of an important distinction
> if you want to preserve what you originally had, but I have not been
> able to figure that out from an afternoon of looking through docs and
> past list questions (perhaps I'm not searching using the right
> phrases?).
>
> Thanks,  Matt

Hi Matt,

I just did an 'install to hard drive' from F11-Live to an Acer Netbook with
Vista on the entire disk.  I pondered over the same question for awhile...
Since the netbook has a recovery partition, so I went ahead and made an
educated guess.  If I remember right, the 'volume to shrink' indicates the
size of the original Vista partition and the 'shrink target' box has the
current Vista usage.  So I took the 'volume to shrink' size minus the
size of
new F11 partition and enter that number in the 'shrink target' field.

Everything worked out OK and a new F11 was installed without a hitch...

--
Bob