F11 and super user

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Oct 8 03:27:11 UTC 2009

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 18:03 +0000, Croombe F. Pensom wrote:
>
>> I am somewhat lazy in that I find a
>> GUI better to use than the command line even though I am familiar with
>> the latter and can use most of its commands.
>>

> This is a false dichotomy. The recommended procedure is to use GUI tools
> via "su". Logging in as root is useful on the rare occasions when you
> literally cannot log in as a user (forgotten password,
> reformatting /home or whatever) but you definitely don't want to do it
> in the normal use of the system.
>
> (BTW the prevention of root login is a Gnome thing, not a Linux or
> Fedora thing. KDE users don't have this problem -- but of course they
> shouldn't log in as root either).
>
> poc

Leaving the question aside of whether the practice of allowing such is
"recommended" or not, I have noticed that since F11 now requires editing
/etc/pam.d/gdm-password as well as /etc/pam.d/gdm, I've done at least
one update where it overwrote gdm-password and I had to redo the "add
the '#'" (it happened twice, but the first time I didn't have enough
proof that it was the update).

Paul