talk set up

David Christopher Chipman dchipman at ican.net
Thu Oct 8 05:00:42 UTC 2009

Hiisi wrote:
> Thanks everybody for your responses. Using chkconfig I was able to configure it.
>
> 2009/10/8 Mail Lists <lists at sapience.com>:
>
>>  You could run jabber daemon - then use any standard IM client which
>> supports jabber (that for example is the underlying protocol for google
>> chat).
>>

> I'll consider it. Thank you.
>
> Respectfully

Hi Hiisi,

Nobody else has mentioned this, but I would also block the well-known
port for talk (udp 517)  closed on the gateway machine you have
connected to the Internet. Assuming the gateway machine is a computer
running Linux, you would use 'iptables' to do this. That should prevent
anyone from accesing talk from the Net. Good luck,

-David

PS: The others are right about it's security issues, bu if nobody can
access it from the Net, that shouldn't be a problem, for your LAN.