grub.conf options [redux]

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 08:23:12 UTC 2009

On Thursday 08 October 2009 04:36:52 Ed Greshko wrote:
> FWIW, I
> don't know how, with Plymouth, to get the display process to show boot
> messages in graphics mode when no errors exist.  To boot, pun intended,
> I just started an F11 instance of a VM with the network card
> disconnected and while I expected to see the "FAILED" when the network
> attempted to start that did not happen either.  (I may have to learn
> more about Plymouth to decide if that is a bug).

I second that. For some time now my vmware modules fail at every single boot,
but the graphical boot simply doesn't display this, it gets ignored. I found
out that something fails during boot only when I looked at the logs.

I haven't read plymouth documentation, but believe this is indeed a bug. I
would expect that if a service fails during boot plymouth should automatically
fallback to displaying the messages, in the same way as if I pressed the
escape button at that instant. But it doesn't happen. :-(

When things appear to work better than they actually do, it is hard to notice
a bug, right? :-)

Best, :-)
Marko