anyone out there still using NIS?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Oct 8 19:38:59 UTC 2009

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i'm putting together a tutorial on network services, and i'm really
> uninterested in investing any time in covering NIS.  anyone out there
> still using it?  is it worth it?

Answers: yes, and "probably not"

It's not that NIS isn't used, but that it is unlikely to be deployed other than
in a legacy organation, not a new use case. I personally think that the
wikipedia coverage is adequate, it lets people know it when they see it, and put
it in perspective. I think that's appropriate.

There are also many semi-standard offspring, NIS+, NIS with
{DES,AES,Blowfish,Serpent}, etc.

Cover LDAP instead. ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>