grub.conf options

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Thu Oct 8 21:06:31 UTC 2009

Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> Where are they documented?

You’ve had a lot of advice, but I’m not sure anyone’s made clear that:

> In particular:
>       * What does the quiet option do?

quiet isn’t really a grub option. It’s passed straight through to the
kernel.

You can find documentation on these kernel parameters in
/usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.6.30.8/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
which is in the kernel-doc package.

Some of them are pretty low-level.

If the kernel doesn’t understand what to do with a parameter, it ignores
it, but it (still) makes it available to the start-up scripts, which may do something with it. A good example of this is rhgb.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | [Training spam filters] is somewhat like house-training a
aprilcottage.co.uk | puppy: it's a painful process, involving contact with