Problems with thunderbird-3.0 Beta 4 message filters

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 13:58:32 UTC 2009

Joachim Backes wrote:

>> Yeah, it isn't related to smart folders. On one machine my filters work
>> fine. On another machine they don't work on initial start-up but work on
>> any new emails.
>>
> Hi Mike,
>
> I could get rid from the problem by deleting the filter (it was testing
> the "sender" header) and re-installing it by testing some body lines
> instead of the "sender" header lines.
>
> I have the impression that the filter only works properly on
> not-header-lines.
>
> Regards

OK I fiddled - firstly I deleted the filters - then added them from scratch
- eg I have one that checks the From field for root in local imap, and
another looking for logwatch, and moves the message to a different folder.
That did not fix the issue but I was in traditional folder mode throughout
this fiddling.

Then leaving TB3b4 in traditional view I shut down TB, and restarted - the
filters then worked.... so I guess just switching from smart folders to
traditional is not enough, and TB needs to be restarted, but also it may be
that the filters need redefining.

If someone could test by stopping and starting TB in traditional folder
view, without redefining filters, to see if that is enough it would be
useful to know if it works (I have other machines I have not yet tested but
will do in a day or two)