computer speed test

Hiisi very-cool at rambler.ru
Fri Oct 9 19:53:55 UTC 2009

2009/10/9 Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 21:51 +0400, Hiisi wrote:
>> Before doing upgrade I would like to test its speed
>> (productivity) in its current condition to comparison. What can you
>> suggest me?
>
> To start with, I suggest you specify what exactly you want to measure,
> i.e. what matters to you in your use of this machine. Without doing
> that, any numbers you generate will be completely meaningless.
>
> poc

I use this computer for many purposes. For example to work with 3D
graphics (blender). The mine bottleneck there is CPU, not memory. I
use it for scripting. Recently I had to write a script that downloaded
a lot of pictures from Internet, then modified them and put into
database. It worked for about 1 hour. I don't want to check it
again...
I wonder how to measure the time elapsed while command is being executed?
Thanks!
--
Hiisi.
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.