Firefox will not start from desktop

Anthony Houston anthony.houston at athouston.com.au
Sat Oct 10 04:02:14 UTC 2009

I am running Fedora 11; clean new install on new hard drive.

Name       : firefox
Arch       : i586
Version    : 3.5.3
Release    : 1.fc11

Firefox will not start from the desktop icon but will start from the CLI
but only as su. Even then I get the following errors:

(firefox:2295): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session
manager:

None of the authentication protocols specified are supported.

Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that
you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS
locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for
information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not
receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not
send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the
reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)

I tried to follow the gnome url listed in the error but could not find
some of the references on my computer.

I have performed the following to make sure my system is uptodate:

su
yum update --enablerepo=rpm*g --enablerepo=u*g --skip-broken -v
reboot

There are MANY threads on FedorumForum about this with all the same
suggestions. I logged this as a bug with Mozilla but they say it isn't
and that I need to go back to the packager (fedora).

Any suggestions please.