Gnome or KDE - why not ask?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Oct 10 13:34:21 UTC 2009

Joshua C. wrote:

> The installation process guides you through some basic points (like
> grub, partitioning, basic packages).

While I am at it, I think the partitioning options are badly put, too.
The first option should be to use the current partitions, in my view.
The second should be to set up partitions as one wants.

I suspect that most people who have installed Fedora before
know that it is best to avoid the crazy system suggested by Anaconda.

> Most distributions nowadays ship
> with both kde and gnome. By default fedora installs gnome and I think
> every user who wants to try it should know this. It's not about being
> clever or not. The PackageKit then gives you the ability to install
> and set kde.

I'm not sure what this means.
It is more or less impossible to replace Gnome by KDE after installation,
in my experience.

I'm afraid that I suspect a political or philosophical motive at work here.
Redhat/Anaconda have a sort of vestigial loyalty to Gnome,
and don't want the alternative to be too visible.

It's a bit like asking a Ford dealer to admit he sells more Toyotas.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net