Network Manager doesn't play nice

Dave tdbtdb+centos at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 20:08:42 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Tait Clarridge <tait at clarridge.ca> wrote:
> I agree about a resolv.conf backup... unless one is already done
> somewhere?

I don't think so. Where would it be, if not
/etc/resolv.conf.<something> or somewhere in /etc/sysconfig?

 sudo find /etc/|grep resolv
Password:
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/resolv.conf

dhclient will also clobber /etc/resolv.conf on every reboot if
PEERDNS=yes in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-<device> and/or
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<device> scripts.

NetworkManager is intended to be the the all-knowing all-powerful
networking god, and the developers seem to think there is no good
reason to back up the pitiful scribblings of mere mortals. That is
part of the reason why I "chkconfig Networkmanager off" on anything
that is not a laptop.

OTOH, maybe if I understood NetworkManager better, I'd know how you
properly offer DNS and search domain information to the great and
terrible gods of the network without defiling their temple. There must
be a way. Supplicants may refer to the ancient texts found in the man
pages and the README (/usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.7.0/README on my
system), I guess.

Dave