comparison of gnote to tomboy is confusing.

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Oct 13 23:54:15 UTC 2009

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 22:00 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>
>>> Someone recently mentioned gnote as a substitute for tomboy. So I
>>> installed it. The two programs have essentially identical man pages. If
>>> you add gnote to your panel you get the same icon as tomboy. Executing
>>> both of then you get the same display. But looking at the program in
>>> the /usr/bin directory gnote is much larger. I looked at the script for
>>> tomboy and gnote is  not mentioned. But tomboy appears throughout the
>>> binary gnote.
>>>
>>> So, what is the scoop about these two programs?
>>> --
>>> =======================================================================
>>> If you stick your head in the sand, one thing is for sure, you're gonna
>>> get your rear kicked.
>>> =======================================================================
>>> Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net
>>>

>> If you do a "yum info" on both of these you'll get your answer.....
>>

> I don't.. Running pinfo on both program names produces the same manual
> pages with the only difference is the name of the command and where you
> post bugs.
> If you see other important information tell me what it is.

Please re-read what I wrote....  Did I write "pinfo"?   No, I wrote "yum
info".

So, let me do it for you....

[root at f11 ~]# yum info tomboy
Installed Packages
Name       : tomboy
Arch       : i586
Version    : 0.14.3
Release    : 1.fc11
Size       : 9.8 M
Repo       : installed
Summary    : Note-taking application
URL        : http://projects.gnome.org/tomboy/
License    : LGPLv2+ and GPLv2+ and MIT
and easy
           : to use. It lets you organise your notes intelligently by
allowing you
           : to easily link ideas together with Wiki style interconnects.

[root at f11 ~]# yum info gnote
Available Packages
Name       : gnote
Arch       : i586
Version    : 0.5.3
Release    : 1.fc11
Size       : 1.6 M
Repo       : updates
Summary    : Note-taking application
URL        : http://live.gnome.org/Gnote
License    : GPLv3+
and easy to
           : use. It lets you organize your notes intelligently by
allowing you to
           : easily link ideas together with Wiki style interconnects.
It is a port
           : of Tomboy to C++ and consumes fewer resources.

Now....read the "Description" from the above output....

The main thing I believe you want to know is that "(gnote)...is a port
of Tomboy to C++ and consumes fewer resources.

OK....Is that helpful?

You can even visit http://live.gnome.org/Gnote and
http://projects.gnome.org/tomboy/....

On http://live.gnome.org/Gnote you would see......

"Gnote is a port of Tomboy to C++.

It is the same note taking application, including most of the add-ins
(more are to come). Synchronization support is being worked on."

OK?

--
An air of FRENCH FRIES permeates my nostrils!! Guess Who!
http://tinyurl.com/mc4xe7