F11: Spooky network manager

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Oct 16 00:57:39 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 20:38 -0400, lanas wrote:
> All,
>
>   This could be a Halloween special but I'm afraid it's not.  This time
> around it looks like I have to 'tango macabre' with the network manager
> since the machine is a laptop.  If there's a way to use wifi w/o it,
> please let me know !
>
>   So basically it works but, after I enter the AP's WPA key, NM pops up
> a dialog box with the caption: 'Enter password for default keyring to
> unlock'.  I spent minutes and minutes at that dialog box entering user,
> root and WPA passwords again and again (maybe I made a typo ?) to end up
> pressing the 'deny' button and see the wifi connection up and running.
> Of course, at the next boot it asked me to enter the WPA key again, as
> well as the 'unlock' password to which I replied 'deny' again.  This is
> instantly.
>
>   So what is that NM thing wanting for password ?  Looks like no
> existing password on the unit will satisfy it.  I have the impression
> that once this is done, then it'll remember the AP key.
>
>   If this is solved, then I'll like to enter a static IP for that
> laptop (+ default gateway and DNS) for the wifi connection and I'm very
> afraid of the nightmare I could run into.
>
>   In the best of worlds, please let me know if there's a way to havce
> wifi without this thing called network manager.  The laptop will always
> use the same AP, so there's nothing fancy to be done.
>
> Thanks for any suggestion and ideas.
----
sounds to me like you already stored the AP's WPA key in your stored
keyring and only need to enter the stored keyring password to handle the
authentication.

your problem isn't network manager, it's understanding what keyrings do
and why they are useful (or in your case, making you crazy).

As user...

rm ~/.gnome2/keyrings/default.keyring

that gets you back to the start. Then the next time it asks you for a
password for your 'keyring' - pay attention to what you enter. I think
if you use the same password as your login, you don't have ever enter it
again.

Craig

believed to be clean.