F11: Spooky network manager

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Oct 16 12:25:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-16 at 06:05 -0400, lanas wrote:
> Le jeudi, 15 Oct 2009 17:57:39 -0700,
> Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> a écrit :
>
> > sounds to me like you already stored the AP's WPA key in your stored
> > keyring and only need to enter the stored keyring password to handle
> > the authentication.
>
> Indeed.
>
> > your problem isn't network manager, it's understanding what keyrings
> > do and why they are useful (or in your case, making you crazy).
> >
> > As user...
> >
> > rm ~/.gnome2/keyrings/default.keyring
>
> The only file in that directory is named login.keyring.
>
> Is this keyring similar in concept to the KDE kwallet (I do not use
> gnome at all - all users' first sessions are in KDE, gnome never
> actually starts) ?  If so, I use kwallet everyday.  The nice think
> about it is that there's an initialization phase at the very beginning
> in which the user is asked to create a password.
>
> With the keyring what I find is odd, is that it seemingly uses a
> password that was never created by the user.  Or, a default password I
> wouldn't try, like 'admin'.  I've entered all three passwords that I
> created related to the laptop (several times to be sure I haven't made
> any typos) and none satisfied the keyring master.  root, user and AP
> passwords.  There are no other passwords related to this context.
>
> > that gets you back to the start. Then the next time it asks you for a
> > password for your 'keyring' - pay attention to what you enter. I think
> > if you use the same password as your login, you don't have ever enter
> > it again.
>
> So, should I delete this login.keyring file ?  I'm porceeding with care
> here since this laptop is a gift and the birthday is coming near.  I
> wouldn't want to screw things up badly at this point.
>
> In parallel I will try Aaron's suggestion and use the plain network
> management utility.  I'd sure would like to use the latest technology,
> though as it surely is better (sarcasm, a bit).
----
1. NetworkManager is a Gnome application and I think uses the gnome
keyrings anyway. I also use KDE and see the same thing as you
(.gnome2/keyrings/login.keyring)  - Delete this file or simply move it
if you worry about deleting. It will be recreated the next time it asks
you for a password on NetworkManager.

2. Aaron is giving you nothing of usefulness. A laptop should use
NetworkManager for connecting to wireless networks...that's one of the
things that it is designed to do.

Your problem has been with not realizing that keyrings have one
password, Wireless AP's have their own password and that they are not
the same.

Craig

believed to be clean.