e1000e unstable on a new board

gary artim gartim at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 20:04:04 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 11:47 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:
> On 10/15/2009 11:33 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>
>> Whatever changes you made to your BIOS settings to bring out this
>> problem....please keep them secret.  We wouldn't want anyone else to
>> miss out on the chance to experience the same adventure.  :-) :-)
>>

> Well, since you asked so nicely I stayed up several more hours and tinkered
> with it. It will be no surprise to anyone here what the culprit was -- ACPI.
> Changing from ACPI 2.0 to 3.0 in the BIOS causes it. Simply changing back to
> 2.0 is not good enough either. You have to completely power off and back on
> to have a stable system again.
>
> --

I have a 4 socket H8QME-2+ motherboard from supermicro. The intel
ethernet is  Intel 82546GB Dual-port Gigabit. I've had one or both of
the lan ports go offline and bring fedora 9/10/11 down. I've flashed
to the latest BIOS, but still no solid fix. My best results have been
to use only one interface. (need to supply more info) The board for me
is in question and need to serial port the console to get more info...
-- Gary