Upgrade to2.6.27.37-170.2.104.fc10.i686.PAE Can I get kmod-nvidia to go with it?

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Sun Oct 18 09:27:19 UTC 2009

On 10/18/2009 11:42 AM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> On 10/17/2009 07:32 PM, Steven W. Orr wrote:
>
>> I upgraded the kernel. What's the process to get the corresponding matching
>> nvidia driver?
>>
> Depending on where you got your *last* nvidia driver from (either
> rpmfusion or atrpms), you should just have to do a "yum update".
> Remember to enable the appropriate repo if you normally disable it
> though....

If you are building it yourself, you'll have to rebuild it again....
> I've been through the painful process of getting nvidia drivers to work, it's taken days of experimetnation.
I found the repos are dangerous and very difficult to find. Yum could
not find kmod-nvidia nor akmod-nvidia but locked up until I manually
removed them from repos.d .They don't or didn't for me provide any
useful applications and crashed the system.

I resorted to downloading the appropriate nvidia driver  and finding it
only works with certain F10 kernels.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

NVIDIA-x86-185.18.36-pkg1.run worked for me for my 8600GT card

Select your driver from the appropriate archive.
  yum install gcc, make, glibc-headers,

  uname -r to get the kernel version.
rpm -qa kernel-devel
rpm -qa kernel-headers
If there are mis matches yum search for the correct files yum remove the
mismatches and install the good versions.

then install from  an init 3 terminal. not from X.
the NVIDIA-x86-nnnnn.run driver will check that you have the headers and
devel files to match your kernel.

The above is the only way I could get the nvidia driver to work

Nvidia drivers do not work with F11 and F12 there are dozens of failure
reports on google and I have experimented for days now to solve the
problems but am stuck with nouveau graphics which are useless for 3D
Blender.

Hope this helps
Roger