Sporadic Sound Issues in Fedora 10

Law Barstow lbarstow at cfl.rr.com
Sun Oct 18 11:59:48 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am on Fedora 10 x86_64, use KDE, and have had sporadic sound issues
for quite some time.

The motherboard is an MSI M-7368 using the onboard sound controller.  It
is an ATI 690 chipset.  There are two outputs: and HDMI and and an
analog jack.  I use analog audio jack.  This is the HDA ATI SB (ALC888
Analog).

 I have PulseAudio installed.   Sometimes it works but usually I receive
a system notifcation from phonon that PulseAudio Does Not Work, falling
back to HD ATI SB.  In these cases, the system continues to produce
sound and I can listen to music, watch videos, etc.  However, sometimes,
this fails too.  In which case I get the Phonon message that HD ATI SB
doesn't work, falling back to HDA HDMI.  Since I don't have an HDMI
connection to this PC, this leaves me without sound.

Output of alsa-info is here:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=c959788737911611207b7493cae2fb99a7cfe2c2

In a failed state, if I run "ps -e|grep pulse" there are no processes
for PulseAudio running.  If I then manually try to run 'pulseaudio", the
output is:

 pulseaudio
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Dropping root privileges.
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
W: pid.c: Stale PID file, overwriting.
E: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hw:0: Device or resource busy
E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-sink" (argument:
"device_id=0
sink_name=alsa_output.pci_1002_4383_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0
tsched=1"): initialization failed.
N: module-alsa-source.c: Increasing wakeup watermark to 40.00 ms
N: module-alsa-source.c: Increasing wakeup watermark to 80.00 ms
N: module-alsa-source.c: Increasing wakeup watermark to 160.00 ms
N: module-alsa-source.c: Increasing wakeup watermark to 320.00 ms
N: module-alsa-source.c: Increasing wakeup watermark to 368.53 ms
Soft CPU time limit exhausted, terminating.
Hard CPU time limit exhausted, terminating forcibly.
Aborted

The only way I have found to restore sound is to reboot.  Sometimes it
works, sometimes I must reboot again.  Eventually, sound will be
restored.  Sometimes it lasts for a while (days/weeks) before failure.
Other times, it fails within minutes.

Thank you for any help

Law