sound recording with Fedora 11

Mikkel mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Oct 23 23:06:12 UTC 2009

Kevin Kempter wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> my son (the musician) has Fedora 11 installed on an HP HDX-16 laptop.
>
> He wants to record some of his band sessions, we tried using 'sound recorder'
> and plugging the output of his mixer into the mic input on the laptop.
>
> It does record but the sound is fuzzy and to say it was poor quality would be
> an over-estimate, since it's there but barely audible.
>

> Can anyone give us some direction per sound recorders for linux in general and
> specifically how to debug & correct this issue with the mic input?
>

> Thanks in advance..

One quick tip - use the line input instead of the mic input if you
have one. The output of your mixer is going to be the wrong level
for the mic input.

Also, you need to set the record level, and not the monitor or
output level of the input you want to use. (Depending on what mixer,
you may only have a capture control and a mic mute.)

Mikkel