New scanner/printer combo

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Oct 24 18:15:27 UTC 2009

On Saturday 24 October 2009, Jim wrote:
>On 10/24/2009 12:11 PM, Louis Lagendijk wrote:

>>> The scanner does show in an lsusb -v, but not without the -v, here is a
>>> snippet:
>>> ==========================
>>> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04b8:0856 Seiko Epson Corp.
>>> Device Descriptor:
>>>    bLength                18
>>>    bDescriptorType         1
>>>    bcdUSB               2.00
>>>    bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
>>>    bDeviceSubClass         0
>>>    bDeviceProtocol         0
>>>    bMaxPacketSize0        64
>>>    idVendor           0x04b8 Seiko Epson Corp.
>>>    idProduct          0x0856
>>>    bcdDevice            1.00
>>>    iManufacturer           1 EPSON
>>>    iProduct                2 USB2.0 MFP(Hi-Speed)
>>>    iSerial                 3 4C454C593037313524
[...]
>>>        iInterface              5 EPSON Scanner
[...]
>>> ============================
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> I suggest to keep an eye on http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/
>> these guys make some linux drivers for Epson devices (they are in some
>> way related to Epson). I see that they already have Imagescan for the
>> NX415 (actually Image Scan! for Linux&  Photo Image Print System Lite)
>> Click on the download for "all in ones", select the NX415 and of you
>> go.....
>>

>> Good luck|
>>
>> Louis
>
>These drivers from
>
>http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/
>
>are not of the greatest, so keep check for Gutenprint-cups drivers they do
> very good drivers.
>
>Do a yum install gutenprint-cups and see if your printer is in the Printer
> selection chart

Unforch:
Package gutenprint-cups-5.2.4-4.fc10.i386 already installed and latest
version

Because if I had my druthers, only gutenprint would ever be installed, all
the others are just so much noise in the cups driver list.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on.
		-- Samuel Goldwyn