Maple13 and Fedora 11

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 16:06:22 UTC 2009

Since I have to use Maple 13 at work I installed it in my F11 machine
- it worked for everything I tested, but refused to print (not
printers came up in the printing dialogue).  It turned out that this
is due to the embedded java JRE being incompatible with F11, and it
was necessary to make Maple use another version of java.  I initially
made it point to the Iced Tea default java in F11, and printing was
then possible but there were many misplaced characters and it was not
properly usable, so I resorted to to using Sun Java.  If anyone else
has been hit by this issue you may want to see the step by step
instructions to making it work I prepared at:

http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~mdc1/maple13_printing.html

It would have been nice to use the open source java but in this
instance I needed to get it working as quickly as possible and only
using the SUN jre gave me a route to an operational system.  If anyone
has an alternative way to get printing working in Maple13 please let
me know.

--
mike