How to get rid from unused entries in ~/.thumbnails

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Oct 29 14:53:17 UTC 2009

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> On 10/28/2009 01:47 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 11:39:01 -0400,
>>    Todd Zullinger<tmz at pobox.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> When disk costs fractions of pennies, is that amount of space even a
>>> concern?  I've had my thumbnails dir grow over several GB before,
>>> after moving my photos to new locations.  sing the thumbnails are
>>> stored based on the md5 of the path to the image, I ended up
>>> duplicating a lot of thumbnails.
>>
>> Backed up storage isn't nearly as cheap as throw away storage. Disk
>> bandwidth
>> has not been keeping up with disk size. It isn't getting cheaper to
>> back up
>> disk space at nearly the rate that plain disk space has.
>>

> Use gconf-editor to set:
>
> /desktop/gnome/thumbnail_cache/maximum_age
> in days
>
> /desktop/gnome/thumbnail_cache/maximum_size
> in MB
>
> The default is 180 days and 512 MB. However, fspot overwrites these
> default to much larger values if present.
>
> This is a feature of gnome-settings-daemon (the "housekeeping"
> plugin). The purge should occur a few minutes after each log-on.

Considering I log in about once a month, that won't do for me.

I have a cronjob that runs this script I got some years ago:

#!/bin/sh
find ~/.thumbnails -type f -atime +30 -exec rm {} \;

But I don't even remember how I set up the cronjob to run daily!  It is,
as this system is rather clean in its ~/.thumbnails