Heads up: Brute force attacks on the rise recently

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Thu Oct 29 15:59:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:59:27 -0400
rgheck wrote:

> On 10/28/2009 07:44 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 18:03:29 -0500
> > Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> >

> >> -Make sure your root password is not a dictionary word.
> >>
> > Better yet, make sure you only allow public key login from
> > outside the trusted local network. I've been setting up my
> > sshd that way for a long time now.
> >

> Can you show how to do this? I only know how to make the choice globally.
>
> rh

I globally disable various things in the main /etc/ssh/sshd_config
file, then I use a "Match" directive at the bottom, which for me
looks like:

Match Address 127.0.0.1,192.168.1.*
Banner /etc/nohamster.txt
GSSApiAuthentication yes
KerberosAuthentication no
PasswordAuthentication yes
KbdInteractiveAuthentication no
RhostsRSAAuthentication no
RSAAuthentication no

That overries the global settings for requests originating
from the matched IP addrs.