two major failures after yesterday updates - anyone else

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 20:23:18 UTC 2009

Mike Cloaked wrote:

> # service paranoia start
> OK so the two machines conspired to fail in the same 12 hour period soon
> after some updates - it is a hardware conspiracy! Now I know...
>
> Now I'll just have to make sure I don't update my phone, TV, or anything
> else just in case they are part of the same plot!
> # service paranoia stop

OK I have been working on this tonight - it turned out that my wife had the
presence of mind to write down what was on the screen of her machine when it
failed - and it was not as fatal/terminal as my own machine's problem.

In my wife's case she reported that when hitting the enter key to login
under kdm the screen went black, and this was followed by a cursor at top
right and repeated lines containing text, with "nouveau_fifo_free:freeing
fifo 1"

So this appears to have been a graphics issue concerning the nouveau driver
- however this evening I was able to boot this machine and am running on the
previous kernel for safety. (2.6.30.8-64.fc11.i686.PAE)

I have not yet sought to investigate whether there were changes in the new
kernel (kernel-PAE-2.6.30.9-90.fc11.i686) that relate to the nouveau driver
- however I have never until now had any graphics related issues with this
machine and it does have an Nvidia 8300GS card.

The other machine is extinct - I cannot boot at all even to a liveCD so I
can't investigate it.  However at the time that failed there were weird
graphics artifacts with multicoloured lines - and it is conceivable that it
could have also been a graphics issue - on boot it puts port00: after the
first message on the screen, and then some stuff on the screen (after the
post check complets) but no boot - I tried partedmagic DVD but it won't boot
at all.  I suppose that the disc could have gone bad and over the weekend
will replace the drive and see if that allows a boot and re-install - but I
am out of ideas on that... however the nouveau failure on my wife's machine
worries me....