Couple of install questions

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Oct 30 16:30:21 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 16:10:17 +0000,
  James Allsopp <jamesaallsopp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Ok, which would be the easier upgrade path
> F11 -> F12
> F12 beta -> F12

If you are installing today, I would suggest using an F12 iso to do it.
Unless you already have a copy of the beta iso, you could grab use the
boot.iso from the daily builds or try a test RC image as that would start
you off closer to what you will end up with.

> and can you install directly onto ext4 using anaconda for partitions
> sitting on an LVM in RAID1?

Yes.

> Is ext4 still considered beta, or is it production quality yet?
> Jim

It is the default. For F11 grub wasn't ready in time for the release so
that ext4 was not usable for /boot. ext3 was used on /boot and ext4 was the
default for other file systems. For F12 ext4 will be the default for all
file systems.

There is a recent discussion about a possible corruption bug for ext4 if
you have an unclean shutdown. I haven't been following it closely though.