F11: UTF-8 Locale issue

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sun Sep 13 15:58:46 UTC 2009

On 09/12/09 23:11, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-09-12 at 16:28 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>
>> Can someone direct me how to set a system-wide
>> UTF-8 locales?
>>
> That's the default (using UTF-8 encoding for most, if not all, locales).
> What do you get if you type the "locale" command into a terminal?
>
> [tim at suspishus ~]$ locale
> LANG=en_AU.UTF-8
> LC_CTYPE="en_AU.UTF-8"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_AU.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="en_AU.UTF-8"
> LC_COLLATE="en_AU.UTF-8"
> LC_MONETARY="en_AU.UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_AU.UTF-8"
> LC_PAPER="en_AU.UTF-8"
> LC_NAME="en_AU.UTF-8"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_AU.UTF-8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_AU.UTF-8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_AU.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_AU.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL=

$ locale
LANG=C
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_PAPER="C"
LC_NAME="C"
LC_ADDRESS="C"
LC_TELEPHONE="C"
LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
LC_ALL=

I manually typed in: system-config-language
and the default was the first top item in the
list, i.e. Afrikaans (South America) and this
was somehow the default set during installation
of F11 even though the installer told me it was
correctly set to English (USA).

In any case, I do not understand why I have the
"C" locale...

Thanks-
Dan