FC10 - DVD/W not recognized by K3B

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Sep 14 15:14:18 UTC 2009

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> I just attached a Samsung USB DVD writer to a FC10 box (hardware is a
>> VIA EPIA M-1000) and then installed K3B.
>>
>> I then started K3B and it reports that there is no CD or DVD writer.
>>
>> So how do I go about trouble shooting this?
>>
> Oh, there is a /dev/scd0 just like there was on the Centos 5.3 system
> that use to have this writer.

Further testing results...

cdrdao read-cd --device /dev/scd0 --datafile CD.bin CD-toc

Works fine on an audio CD. But

cdrdao write --device /dev/scd0 CD-toc

Did not work. I was instructed I needed the generic-mmc-raw driver. And

cdrdao write --device /dev/scd0 --driver generic-mmc-raw CD-toc

worked fine.

I could not find anywhere in K3B to set the driver. Anyone have any
ideas as to why k3b not working?