How to disable the NIC, then the connection is normal ?

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Fri Sep 18 16:31:30 UTC 2009

Edward S.P. Leung wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Mine is Fedora Core 6 :
> eth0 ( Internet )
> eth1 ( Intranet )
>
> Now, due to the envoriment problem, the eth1 need to be disable at this
> moment, so I try to do the following config
> [root at host1 ~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
> # Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
> DEVICE=eth1
> BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
> # HWADDR=00:17:31:7E:F8:34
> IPADDR=192.168.1.254
> # IPV6ADDR=
> # IPV6PREFIX=
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=192.168.1.0
> # ONBOOT=yes
> ONBOOT=no
> [root at host1 ~]$
>
> After reboot the network function, the server machine can't to connect
> with Internet again :
> [root at host1 ~]$ ping -c 3 202.175.xxx.xxx
> PING 202.175.xxx.xxx (202.175.xxx.xxx) 56(84) bytes of data.
>  From 202.175.xxx.xxx icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
>  From 202.175.xxx.xxx icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
>  From 202.175.xxx.xxx icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
>
> So, how must I modify the config of eth1 interface, then the connection
> of Internet will be successful ?

Uncomment the "HWADDR=" line to ensure that the configuration ties to
the correct NIC.  It's possible that the ifcfg-eth1 setup is really
messing with eth0 instead.

Second, make sure the default gateway is set up correctly, as your
problem sounds like it's not being set.  If your default gateway is
on the network served by the ifcfg-eth1 file above, then it won't be
set as you don't have a NIC on that network.  The default gateway is set
by a "GATEWAY=" line in one of the ifcfg-eth* files or in the
/etc/sysconfig/network file.

It'd help if you could post the contents of the following files:

	/etc/sysconfig/network

Also the output of the commands "ifcfg eth0" and "ifcfg eth1".  You can
obfuscate the actual network addresses if you wish or send the stuff to
me off-list and I can try to help you directly.
-    When you don't know what to do, walk fast and look worried.     -