Fsck at shutdown instead of startup

Gijs info at bsnw.nl
Tue Sep 29 10:02:02 UTC 2009

On 9/29/09 11:20 , Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 10:54:20 +0200, Gijs wrote:
>

>> Hello List,
>>
>> Today I once again had to wait 30 minutes for fsck to finish checking my
>> 1TB disk and I'm getting a bit fed up with it.
>>
> What was the reason for the check? Did you choose to let the disk be
> checked every N mounts? If so, why don't you disable that automatic check
> with tunefs? Then it's up to you whether and when to check manually
> or whether to rely on journaling.

It was one of the default checks, performed every 32 mounts. I could
disable it, but if I did, I'd probably never run a full check again,
since I'd never want to spend time on doing it. And the check is good
for something I presume, otherwise it wouldn't have been implemented in
the first place. Since I don't really mind having a forced fsck on
shutdown, I wanted to go with that instead of disabling it all together.