NFS causing slooooow boot

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Sep 30 18:33:00 UTC 2009

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:03:25 -0700
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> If your boot requires an NFS volume to satisfy your /etc/fstab
>> requirements
>
> I really, really, wish there was an fstab option I could add to nfs
> files that said: "Hey Mr. Mounter - when you go to mount this,
> just background it immediately, don't wait."

There is.  Read below.

> That would make it much more convenient to have entries in fstab
> for nfs mounts to systems which may or may not actually be up
> at the time I'm booting.

Have you tried the "bg" option for the entry in /etc/fstab?  I might
even suggest "bg,soft":

	server:/export   /mountpoint  nfs   options,bg,soft 0 0

or

	1.2.3.4:/export  /mountpoint  nfs   options,bg,soft 0 0

Replace "options" with your list of options and tack on ",bg,soft" as
I've shown.  "man 5 nfs" for details.
-                   Never try to outstubborn a cat.                  -