Fedora 11 GDM - unwanted list of all local users and impossible to customize?

Chris Stark cstark at hawaii.edu
Tue Sep 1 02:32:22 UTC 2009

Greetings,

I found the solution back in Fedora 10. It's not exactly "user friendly"...

All on one line:

sudo gconftool-2 --direct --config-source
xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory -s --type=bool
/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list true

The change should be instant... just log out and log back in.

Fedora Devs: please take a cue from the Ubuntu camp and either use a
sane version of GDM or fix the atrocity that is the current shipping
version. Gconftool is even less friendly than Windows' Registry Editor.

Aloha,
Chris