In the news: Soon to be published, Skype back-door trojan code?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Sep 1 03:31:56 UTC 2009

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 31 August 2009, Michael Hennebry wrote:

>>> OK....so this is really "rant" about vz.   And somehow vz is "in bed"
>>> with anything M$ cause it supposedly allows MSNBC through....
>>>
>> supposedly?
>>

> Obviously the doubting Thomas here has never had to deal with vz an an ISP.
> I rest my case.

I don't know what you are alleging....

MSNBC uses a Flash Player as does CNN, fauxnews, and the BBC.  Of course
the flash players they use are all different.  But, I believe the
underlying network protocol used to transfer data to the players is the
same.  So, maybe you are alleging that vz is "controlling" bandwidth
based on source IP to discourage you from watching those other news
outlets that don't have MS in their names?

Being in Taiwan I obviously don't have vz as my ISP.   But, MSNBC,
fauxnews, and MSNBC works just fine while CNN can be jerky.   I suppose,
based on your logic and no evidence, I can conclude that my ISP has
something against CNN.  Maybe CNN had an unflattering article on 馬英九
(President of Taiwan)?

FWIW, I did ask my Dad in NJ to watch videos on each of those sites you
mention and to let me know which performed well and which didn't.  He
said he watched 2 or 3 on each site and all were good.  He is on vz.
Not sure of his plan...but I believe he has FIOS (forgot to ask).

So, I have no doubt that you have having a bad experience with watching
videos....but it would seem a Federal law would be broken if what you
seem to be alleging is true.  And, I suppose, it is only being broken
where you are as evidenced by my Dad's experience.  Of course he is 83
and may have nodded off while watching the videos and didn't notice
anything....  :-)