In the news: Soon to be published, Skype back-door trojan code?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Sep 1 04:08:06 UTC 2009

On Monday 31 August 2009, Ed Greshko wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> supposedly?
>>
>> Obviously the doubting Thomas here has never had to deal with vz an an
>> ISP. I rest my case.
>
>I don't know what you are alleging....
>
>MSNBC uses a Flash Player as does CNN, fauxnews, and the BBC.  Of course
>the flash players they use are all different.  But, I believe the
>underlying network protocol used to transfer data to the players is the
>same.  So, maybe you are alleging that vz is "controlling" bandwidth
>based on source IP to discourage you from watching those other news
>outlets that don't have MS in their names?

That is the feeling I am getting.  There was a story on the beeb tonight but
it was badly coded, and was not playable as it insisted on reloading the page
 to replay it.

But, I just hit everybody but abc, even the beeb, and it is all working
fairly well ATM.

>Being in Taiwan I obviously don't have vz as my ISP.   But, MSNBC,
>fauxnews, and MSNBC works just fine while CNN can be jerky.   I suppose,
>based on your logic and no evidence, I can conclude that my ISP has
>something against CNN.  Maybe CNN had an unflattering article on 馬英九
>(President of Taiwan)?
>
>FWIW, I did ask my Dad in NJ to watch videos on each of those sites you
>mention and to let me know which performed well and which didn't.  He
>said he watched 2 or 3 on each site and all were good.  He is on vz.
>Not sure of his plan...but I believe he has FIOS (forgot to ask).
>
>So, I have no doubt that you have having a bad experience with watching
>videos....but it would seem a Federal law would be broken if what you
>seem to be alleging is true.  And, I suppose, it is only being broken
>where you are as evidenced by my Dad's experience.  Of course he is 83
>and may have nodded off while watching the videos and didn't notice
>anything....  :-)

Chuckle, while I OTOH, am only nearly 75, and can be presumed to be awake.

Most of the time...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

A hermit is a deserter from the army of humanity.