Am I being punished?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 15:37:00 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 08:39 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 08:32:08 -0500,
>   "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> >
> > There is a registry tweak for for XP so that you can have the
> > hardware clock set to UTC, and still have the time correctly
> > displayed for the time zone you have set. It is supposed to bother
> > some programs, but I have not run into any yet. (Then again, I don't
> > run XP that often.)
>
> There is a guy who tracks the status of this and according to his latest
> status report it is supposed to work correctly in Windows Vista SP2 and
> Windows 7. See: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/mswish/ut-rtc.html

According to that page,

        "Someone from Microsoft's Core Operating Systems Division hints
        in an email to me that both Vista SP2 and Windows 7 will fix the
        problems in the RealTimeIsUniversal=1 support that have made
        running the CMOS clock in UTC so far not practical with Windows
        (i.e., the time was wrong after resuming a suspended/hibernating
        Windows)"

Since I dual-boot WinXP on my netbook, I'm wondering if anyone has seen
this misbehaviour.

poc