So far I am not impressed with F11

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 18:52:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 14:38:52 -0400, Randall wrote:

> So far F11 has been nothing short of a pain for me. I have had more
> issues with this one release than I have for all of the preceding
> releases combined.
>
> The issues begin with sound, at any given moment for apparently no
> reason all sound including system sounds turn to static.  This has been
> an issue since day one of my fresh install of F11 and I have yet to find
> a reason for it. I also had the same issue with F10 which is why I
> skipped F10 on the machine in question and waited for F11. I have asked
> countless times for help on this issue and gotten no feedback I can't be
> the only person having this trouble. The only cure is a reboot and even
> then it's only a temporary fix because its sure to happen again even
> after periods of time when the computer has been left idle doing nothing.

Nowadays, you can't win much by skipping a release. Your assumption
that you "can't be the only person having this trouble" is not wrong,
but it's not helpful either. Somebody, who is troubled by exactly
the same symptoms, needs to look into it and then talk to the right
people. In particular, don't assume that the person who can supply
a fix is aware of the issue. Other people may work around such issues
or even skip a release, too.

With regard to sound problems, disable PulseAudio (try hard, if
configuration options don't do it, remove it but avoid breaking RPM
dependencies). Then set up one audio player to use native ALSA output
drivers/plugins. Try to reproduce the problem. If you can't, re-enable
PulseAudio and start looking for diagnostic output, such as warnings
or errors in /var/log/messages. Look for existing bug reports. Submit
your own one. http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/pulseaudio  (replace
"pulseaudio" with other src.rpm package names if necessary)